News

Opinion / Comments

Community Activities

Improving Kingswells

Guest Book

Sermons

Health

Classified Sales

History

Enter the Forum

KINGSWELLS HOME
Kingswells News
News
Oldnews
Archives
History
Diary Dates
EMAIL US
Guest Book
Bulletin Board
COMMUNITY COUNCIL
Who's who
Dates of Meetings
Agendas
Minutes
Local Councillor
MP and MSP
KINGSWELLS SCHOOL
Children's Work
Sports
News
Children's Council
PTA
MEETING PLACES
Village Hall
Community Centre
Webster Park
WORSHIP
Church of Scotland
Episcopal Church
THINGS TO DO
Sports
Clubs
Action Groups
Youth Activities
Teens Topics
Kids Stuff
Nursery Care
POLICE
Crime Update
Neighbourhood Watch
Community Bobby
CLASSIFIED
For Sale
Wanted
Local Businesses
Local Services
ENVIRONMENTAL
Improving Kingswells
Broadband
Planning Permission

Residents Associations
Kingswells in bloom
Western P Route
Park n Ride
Transport Issues
Buses
ANIMAL LIFE
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Walker's Diary
Rebecca's Diary
Parsley's Diary
Livery and Studs
Veterinary Services
Pets Corner
MISCELLANEOUS
Eat in/out
Picture Gallery

Just for a Laugh
Useful web sites
Opinion and Comments
Information
Copyright
Disclaimer Statement
Privacy Statement

 

Kingswells Community Council Minutes

Updated: 28 December 2004

Minutes form the latest Community Council Meeting
Email community council@kingswells.com

MINUTES OF KINGSWELLS COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING

Date: Monday 29th November 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Participants: Ian Cox (Secretary), Barrie. Buchan, Dave Lawson, Patrick Campbell

Apologies: Dot. Batchelor, David. Meiklejohn, Cllr Peter Stephen

Absent: John. Gerrie, Tom Straiton

Representatives/Observers: Ally Prockter from Grampian Police

Two members of the public

ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Sederunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Alex signed off the minutes of the previous meeting.

4 Police Report

A police report is attached.

Ally encourages KCC to contact him any time by email, if problems arise between meetings. Ian has Ally's email address.

Ally asked who KCC would prefer to attend the meetings. KCC replied that Richard would be best most of the time, the new Sergeant should attend say every 3 months, and an Inspector once or twice a year. Ally reported that most Community Councils felt that the Community Bobbie was the most appropriate person to attend CC meetings.

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

Patrick Duffy, Chairperson of Bankhead Academy School Board asked for support to back a new bus route between Kingswells, Bucksburn, Bankhead, Dyce and the Airport. The service was required to allow the 120 Kingswells pupils attending Bankhead more freedom. There are currently issues when a pupil misses the bus, or has a more varied timetable with late starts, or early finishes.

KCC said that Peter Stephen was dealing with this and that the route had been ruled out of recent bids because it was less viable than other routes. Patrick advised that this proposal was 'back on the table' and that a budget could be available from February 2005.

KCC agreed that they would support the new route, and Barrie would write a letter.

Patrick advised that a survey of parents ranked secondary schools in order of preference from a parent's point of view as:

Westhill

Hazelhead

Bankhead

The perception was that this was the ranking for academic ability. Patrick advised that the survey was flawed because most participants had no knowledge of what Bankhead could provide.

Further intake of pupils from Kingswells to Westhill and Hazelhead had been capped, and it was important to deal with the perceptions Kingswells parents had about Bankhead Academy. To this end KCC were invited to attend the event at Bankhead on Tuesday 30th November to raise awareness of what Bankhead could provide. Unfortunately, due to short notice no one from KCC could attend.

It was suggested that the Bankhead Academy School Board could place an article in the Kingswells News.

Gill Mackenzie advised that the meeting at Cults CC did not agree that the proposal to build the new Cults Academy on a new site was the best solution. There would be major traffic problems, and due to the location the journeys would be longer, and more people would have to use a car.

6 Matters Arising

Nothing to report.

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

No report was available, but it was noted that the work on the 13 new bus shelters and the new fence at the shops had started.

8 Update from Action Groups

a) Environmental

No report

b) Planning and Infrastructure

WPR

It was agreed that a letter should be written to MSPs and Nichol Stephen regarding the WPR.

c) Education and Youth

New School Build

Progress was 2-3 weeks behind, but it is expected that this will be caught up later.

d) Communications

Notice Board Patrick agreed to install the notice board. Ian to show Patrick the preferred location.

9 Treasurers Report

Bank Balances

No update available.

Ian had received a cheque for £254.50 for the notice board.

Post box cost £29.99 &endash; cheque required for Barrie.

'Thank you' gift £35.00 &endash; cheque required for Barrie.

10 AOCB

Nothing to report.

11 Date of Next meeting:

January 10, 2005 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.

 

Future meeting dates:

Jan 10

Feb 14

Mar 7

Apr 11

May 9

Jun 13

Jul 4

Aug 8

Sep 5

Oct 10

Nov 7

Dec 12


Date: Monday 6th September 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alan. Stott (Vice Chair),

Participants Barrie. Buchan, Ian Cox (Secretary), David. Meiklejohn, John. Gerrie, Tom Straiton

Apologies: Dot. Batchelor, Peter Murry, Alex Carnie (Chairperson), Grampian Police

Representatives/ Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen, Claire Burt

ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report

Police sent apology for absence.

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

(i) No questions.

1 Matters Arising

Communication with Public

General discussion took place to identify problems with communications. The following points were identified.

  • A notice board outside the community centre would give more access than the board inside. Claire has information on similar boards used by ACC. She will make this available to KCC.
  • The website at www.kwells.org is not well known. Reciprocal links between the KCC website and www.kingswells.com
  • Several articles written by community councillors were published in the Kingswells News under the name of the author. To raise the profile of KCC future articles should be written under the name of KCC.
  • David to write an article for the newsletter detailing the 'news in brief'.

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

a) Youth Meeting

Peter indicated that he planned a meeting with the Youth of Kingswells to identify their requirements. Jane Morris announced at the last meeting her intentions to arrange a similar meeting. One joint meeting was considered appropriate.

Peter should work with Jane on this point. (Peter, Jane)

b) Repair to Dry Stane Dykes

Work should be complete by December.

c) Fence at Shops

Tenders are out and should be returned in six weeks

8 Treasurers Report

Bank Balances

Bank balances not changed since last month except the addition of a small amount of interest.

Barrie to ask Pam Charles if she would like to act as book-keeper. Barrie to become a signatory on the accounts. (Barrie)

9 AOCB

  • Ian to draft a response to the letter from the Planning Department, and pass around for comment. (Ian)
  • The number of objections to the Local Plan was reported to be about 350 and the bulk of these were from Kingswells. This was considered to be a disappointing figure
  • Barrie said she would hand out 100 objection cards to neighbours and friends. (Barrie)
  • Tom suggested putting out notices by the road side, and by Gillahill. Tom
  • Barrie to research the legal status of greenbelt and green space network. (Barrie)
  • Ian to attend the meeting at Cults.(Ian)
  • Barrie, Ian, John and David to hand out objections by the Co-op at the weekend. (Barrie, Ian, John and David)
  • Ian is to draft a reply to Bancon re master planning the proposed development at Lang Stracht. The agreed position is that it would be inappropriate to engage in this process before the Local Plan had been finalised.(Ian)

10 Date of Next meeting:

October 11, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.


Date: Monday 16th August 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Participants: John Gerrie, Ian Cox (Secretary), Michael Jones, Joyce Jones, David Meiklejohn, Barrie. Buchan, Tom Straiton

Apologies: Alan Stott (Vice Chair), Dot. Batchelor

Representatives/Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen, Ally Prockter and Richard Kingham from Grampian Police

Members of the Public

Jane Morris - Youth Worker From Beacon


ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report

a) Introductions

Ally and Richard introduced themselves and described how it was important to build a good relationship with the people of Kingswells.

a) Vandalism

Recent problems with vandalism in Kingswells were described. Ian asked if the softly, softly approach was appropriate when property was being destroyed.

The police stated that vandalism was a city wide problem, and that the police were dependant on calls identifying names of the people involved, the time and location of the incidents. These should all be reported to the call centre on 0845 600 5700

Tom reported problems that he had in the past reporting vandalism to the call centre. He was told that only the owner of the property being vandalised could report this type of incident. Ally advised that the call centre was still new and the staff were learning. The advice given by the call centre in this instance was not correct. It was important that all crime was reported to the call centre. This was the information on which intelligence based policing was based. The information needs to be good quality giving details of names, car registrations, and details of what individuals within groups did. It was not good enough to say the crowd of youths kicked down the fence. The name or a good description of the person within the group that actually kicked the fence down would be required.

A member of the public reported that vandalism and youth disorder were also a big problem in the Derbeth area near the park. This had been reported to the police.

The police were asked what the public could do to assist. Ally said that he would draw up a list of things that the public could do. (This report was provided after the meeting and is provided as an addendum to these minutes)

c) Priority Crimes

(Report was provided after the meeting by email)

Break-ins to cars - 2

House break-ins - 0

Vandalisms - 3

Underage drinking - 0

Youth calls - 8

Disturbances - 1

Break-ins to sheds - 0

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

All questions were raised in section 4 above.

6 Matters Arising

Jane Morris from the Beacon said that as part of her work with the Youth Questionnaire she will arrange a meeting with the youths who responded to determine the way forward in identifying the requirements.

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

Due to lack of time Peter asked that the following points be raised as agenda items at the next meeting.

a) Action Plan

Fraser Clyne requested that KCC spend some time to consider the main points for the Kingswells Action Plan

b) Kingswells Forum

Certain community groups should be part of Kingswells Forum. Groups like the Community Centre committee, School Board and KCC should consider forming the Kingswells Forum to improve communications between the groups.

c) Repair to Drystane dykes.

Cost estimates are being prepared to assist in finding funding.

d) Fence around shrubs at the shops

This work is out to tender.

e) Bus Shelters

Peter provided a list of 13 bus stops that would receive a bus shelter.

f) One Way System

The one way system has now been changed at the shops.

8 Update from Action Groups

An additional meeting to discuss the public meeting was arranged for Tuesday 24th August. Location and time TBA.

9 Treasurers Report

(i) Current balance is £565.67. The balance of the Community Project Account was £1276.80.

This year's grant had not been received. Joyce to check this with Charles Lowe.

10 Community Council Forum

Nothing to report.

11 AOCB

Broadband

A broadband solution has been found for Kingswells, but requires that hardware is located in the community centre, on one of the light standards at Webster Park, and in the old school at Fairly Road. Peter should contact the community centre to open the doors of communication between Village Internet and the community centre.

New Committee Member

Peter Murray has agreed to join the Community Council committee.

12 Date of Next meeting:

September 6, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.

 

9 Treasurers Report

(i) Current balance is £565.67. The balance of the Community Project Account was £1276.80.

This year's grant had not been received. Joyce to check this with Charles Lowe.

 

Joyce

10 Community Council Forum

Nothing to report.

11 AOCB

Broadband

A broadband solution has been found for Kingswells, but requires that hardware is located in the community centre, on one of the light standards at Webster Park, and in the old school at Fairly Road. Peter should contact the community centre to open the doors of communication between Village Internet and the community centre.

 

New Committee Member

 

Peter Murray has agreed to joi

 

 

 

 

Peter

 

 

 

12 Date of Next meeting:

September 6, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.

 

 


Date: Monday 5th July 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Participants: Alan. Stott (Vice Chair), Barrie. Buchan, Ian Cox (Secretary), Mike Jones

Apologies: Dot. Batchelor, David. Meiklejohn, John. Gerrie, Tom Straiton, Joyce Jones (Treasurer), Grampian Police

Representatives/ Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen

5 members of the Public

1 member of Press


1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report

Police sent apology for absence, but submitted a report by email which has been summarised below.

a) Richard Kingham has been appointed 'community bobbie' and should start work in Kingswells next week. He has been keeping up to date on the police issues for Kingswells.

b) Priority Crimes

Break-ins to cars 2

House break-ins 0

Vandalisms 0

Underage drinking 0

Youth calls 0

Disturbances 0

1 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

(i) Gill Mackenzie requested that the WPR be discussed in a private session after the formal meeting had ended. This was done and Gill talked about the Jewels of Kingswells &endash; the various valued heritage sites around Kingswells, and the affect the WPR would have on them.

(ii) A general discussion on the WPR followed.

2 Matters Arising

Mike advised that the drains near the church had been unblocked.

3 Councillor Stephen's Update

a) Proposed Fencing at the Shops

Peter showed a sample of the fencing that was proposed around the shrubs at the shops &endash; it is similar to that used around the new playground at the school. It was generally thought that the fence would be good enough to allow the shrubs to grow.

The handrail at the steps was reported as loose. Peter advised that this would be attended to when the fencing was installed.

b) Withdrawal of Gillahill from the Enquiry

Peter explained that the KCC view on SMG proposal to withdraw from the enquiry had been passed on and he was currently waiting for it to pass through the system. He confirmed that the Reporter had not been informed, but this should be done in the next week or so.

Peter confirmed that the planning applications for the other phases of Gillahill would be processed by the planning system as usual and he expected that to take place by the end of this year.

c) Local Plan

Peter confirmed that the Local Plan should go out for consultation on 18th August. Consultation will be for 6 weeks &endash; i.e to the end of September.

d) WPR

Peter advised that the decision to run the WPR in front or behind Derbeth Farm had not been made as yet. The route would not be finalised until October, and consultation will take place in November.

8 Update from Action Groups

a) Environmental & Infrastructure

(i) Derbeth Pond

SMG will conduct a risk analysis of the area around the pond and will report findings to Mike.

(ii) Path Network

Ian attended a meeting on the development of the path network between Kingswells, Newhills and Sheddocksley.

Generally the path network was not well known to the general public and work would talk place to improve the signage for the paths in the various communities. Ian advised that he had said that funds maybe available from the Community Project fund for signs in Kingswellls at Cromar Gardens and at the Wellside Wynd entrances to the system of paths. It was agreed that this would be an appropriate use of funds.

A Kingswells resident at the meeting had raised concerns about the lack of a safe route for children to cycle to school at Bucksburn. They suggested that a suitable cycle track should be part of the path network. This would probably be tarmac with lighting. KCC considered that such a proposal would be inappropriate and out of place in the path network.

Ian to report back to ACC.

(iii) Bus Shelter

Mike reported that the bus shelter near the church is subject to regular vandalism, and that the broken glass was a danger to the public. There was a view that the shelter should be removed.

b) Education and Youth

Youth Report

It was suggested that Jane should be invited back to discuss the report and the way forward. Barrie to speak to John about contacting Jane.

2 Treasurers Report

Bank Balances

Bank balances not changed since last month except the addition of a small amount of interest.

3 Community Council Forum

Next meeting on August 2, 2004 at the Towns House at 7:30pm .

 


MINUTES OF KINGSWELLS COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING

Date: Monday 14th June 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Participants: John. Gerrie, lan Cox (Secretary), Barrie. Buchan, Joyce Jones, Michael Jones

Apologies: Inspector Alistair Proctor, Sgt Audrey Gibb, Dot. Batchelor, Tom Straiton , Alan. Stott (Vice Chair)

Absent: David. Meiklejohn

Representatives/Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen


ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report. Police sent apologies for absence, but Audrey answered outstanding points in a pre-meeting telephone call and email.

a) Last month concern was raised by a report that the police were not interested in vandalism reported by concerned residents. Appears that only the owner of the property should report this type of incident.

Audrey said that the police relied on the public reporting incidents and that they should be encouraged to report incidents. She thought that this problem was a one off, and was possibly due to teething problems with the new call centre. Audrey said she would raise the matter with the call centre supervisor.

b) Audrey reported that parking on the pavement was an offence if it causes an obstruction to pedestrians. When parking on the pavement occurs regularly, or causes an obstruction it should be reported. The Community Bobby or a warden would deal with such cases. .

c) A Community Bobby will be assigned to Kingswells by next weekend. (19th June)

d) 'Priority Crimes 13/04/04 to 14/06/04 (62 days)

Theft 3

Theft by housebreaking (sheds) 3

Theft by housebreaking 0

Theft by OLP (eg break ins to cars) 3

Vandalism 9

Road traffic offences 6

Others 8

Other Reported Incidents

Youth Annoyances 8

Underage drinking calls 5

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

No questions this month.

6 Matters Arising

Nothing that is not included below.

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

a) Matter arising from last month

(i) Overgrown foot paths

Peter advised that the service had now improved.

(ii) Library Service

Peter advised that this was still scheduled for September.

(iii) One-way System

This matter was on-going.

(iv) The wall around the shrubs at the shops

An error has been made in the estimate for this work and a more realistic figure of £23,000 was reported.

Peter reported that a metal fence may be possible for the original budget of £6,000; but he had not seen the specification for this type of fence. He would report back when more detail was available.

The question of getting a 'non-preferred' contractor to do the work for less than the £23,000 was raised. Peter said that there would be issues with future maintenance.

b) New issues

(i) Concern was raised about the condition of some of the dry stane dykes around Kingswells. Ian said he would prepare a report on work required

(ii) Dangerous parking was reported on the corner by the Village Hall. Peter advised that double yellow lines were planned for this area.

(iii) Traffic to Webster Park was reported to be speeding with little regard to the speed bumps.

(iv) Peter reported that road markings (red oval with picture of a child) were planned for Fairley Road.

(v) Peter reported that if the police need to speak to kids in Kingswells the parents will receive a standard letter to make them aware of the situation.

(vi) A question was raised about imposing a weight restriction on the use of the 'bypass' road.

(vii) A problem with the drainage at the church was reported.

8 Update from Action Groups

a) Environmental

(i) Consumption Dyke

The signs for the consumption dyke should be installed by the end of June. The final cost £1,276.80

(ii) Derbeth Pond

Michael reported that SMG would carry out a risk assessment of the whole area around the pond and would act accordingly.

(iii) Open Areas

No report this month.

b) Planning and Infrastructure

(i) Local Plan

ACC plan to make the documentation available when it is ready; but did not want to put out to consultation until after the holiday period. This would result in the consultation period being August / September and possibly early October.

(ii) Gillahill

Peter reported that SMG were currently considering its position regarding the public enquiry.

SMG currently has 3 planning applications out for the Gillahill area:

1.) the 200 houses that will be discussed at the public enquiry in August.

2.) 170 houses in stead of 200 in (1) on a slightly smaller area.

3.) 170 houses on the land identified in the new local plan.

The community council and some individuals have submitted objections to 2 and 3. KCC will represent the community at the public enquiry in August.

The majority view of the community council was that Gillahill was not a suitable place for development.

(iii) WPR

KCC is currently working with other local groups to provide communities with information required to form an informed opinion on the proposals for the Western Peripheral Route.

A public meeting is planned at Newton Dee on Thursday.

Ian and Alex will keep KCC informed.

c) Education and Youth

(i) New School Build

The playground is currently 2 weeks behind due to the weather; but should be complete by mid June..

(ii) Youth Facilities

John distributed the report from Youth Worker. The report will be discussed next month when KCC will have time to consider the contents.

Ian will distribute copies to members not at the meeting.

9 Treasurers Report

(i) Bank Balances

KCC account: £579.25

Community Project Account: £2345.98 less £1,276.80 for the signs at the consumption dyke leaves £1,069.18

10 Community Council Forum

11 AOCB

(i) Correspondence

Ian distributed copies of information on:

The pedestrianisation of Union Street &endash; comments required by the end of August.

Proposals for a Community Council Development Programme &endash; response required by October 1.

12 Date of Next meeting:

July 5, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.


Date: Monday 3rd May 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Participants: John. Gerrie, Tom Straiton, lan Cox (Secretary), Dot. Batchelor, Barrie. Buchan, Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Apologies: Inspector Alistair Proctor

Absent: David. Meiklejohn, Joyce Jones, Michael Jones

Representatives / Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen


ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report:

a) a) Concern was raised by a report that the police were not interested in vandalism reported by concerned residents. Appears that only the owner of the property should report this type of incident.

lan should write to the police to clarify the situation and to express concern.

b) Concern was raised about the number of vehicles that parked on the pavement. This point will be raised with Alistair next month. Alistair will be asked to advise on legalities of parking on the pavements.

 

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

No questions this month.

6 Matters Arising

Nothing to report

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

a) Matter arising from last month

(i) Dog Bins

Peter advised that dog bins can only be located in areas that have been adopted by the council, and where local residents Will not be inconvenienced.

Joyce had some concerns re dog bins last month, and these should be discussed with Peter.

Peter has an updated plan showing the areas adopted as of March 2004

(ii) Pruning

Peter advised that pruning of trees and shrubs was scheduled to occur once a year. If there are any areas of concern then these should be raised with Peter

(iii) How to raise a tree preservation order

This matter should be raised with the planning department at ACC

(iv) State of the old road to the Derbeth area.

The condition of the road and vegetation was considered to be OK. If there are any specific concerns then these should be highlighted to Peter

(v) Overgrown Paths

Peter will look into the matter of overgrown paths on the parkland opposite the shops

(vi) Current population and number of houses

Barrie will check with electoral people at Woodhill House.

b) 'Construction' Signs in the Village

Peter advised that all construction signs had been removed with the exception of the Burnside sign.

c) Library.

Peter advised that the mobile library service would be discussed at meetings on May 18 and June 8. A trial service should be available every second Saturday from September.

Possible sites for the library might be the hard standing in front of the Community Centre, or the parking area at the side of the shops

8 Update from Action Groups

a) Environmental

(i) Consumption Dyke

The Parks department are trying to identify a suitable date for installation of the signs.

(ii) Derbeth Pond

Barrie reported that vandals had damaged the fencing of the walkway that goes out over the pond. Michael to deal with this matter.

(iii) Lakeside Pond

Peter will deal with matters regarding the dredging of the pond.

(iv) Open Areas

Alan will meet with Peveral to discuss maintenance.

Wellside Road Residents Association will be set up. They have no play areas, but have a large area of grass to maintain. Barratt's will need to be contacted to determine areas of responsibility.

Concraig area is still not adopted. There is currently a lot of work being done to ensure adoption takes place soon. SMG still have ownership and they seem to maintain the area well. However, about 50% of the shrubs have died and these will need to be replaced before adoption takes place.

Part of Migvie has not been adopted and Malcolm Alan is still responsible. They currently provide maintenance free of charge to the residents.

Dot to check with planning to determine the areas of responsibility, and what conditions are placed on the provision of this service.

b) Planning and Infrastructure

(i) Local Plan

A separate meeting should be arranged to discuss this matter. Wednesday May 5 at Webster Park was suggested. lan should book the room.

(ii) Gillahill

The statement of case is due on May 18. All to comment by Wednesday May 5. Final version to be posted out by May 15.

(iii) WPR

Alex provided an update and advised that KCC would work with the sub-group involving interested groups from various areas of Aberdeen.

lan will act as focal point

c) Education and Youth

(i) New School Build

Nothing to report this month.

(ii) Youth Facilities

A report from Youth Worker is available, but John has yet to receive his copy.

9 Treasurers Report

(i) Bank Balances

KCC account: £579.25

Community Project Account: £2345.98

10 Community Council Forum

The Forum will meet on June 7 at 7:30pm at the Town House.

Consultation on 3rd Party Right of Appeal &endash; Alan will work on this after the Gillahill statement of case.

11 AOCB

(i) Health Check

This should be put on hold until more time is available.

(ii) Article For Newsletter

Barrie will write an article regarding the community council and request for 2 new members.

12 Date of Next meeting:

June 14, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.



MINUTES OF KINGSWELLS COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING

Date: Monday 1st March 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alan. Stott (Vice Chair)

Participants: John. Gerrie, Ian Cox (Secretary), David. Meiklejohn, , Barrie. Buchan, Alex Carnie, Dot. Batchelor, Michael Jones, Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Apologies:

Absent: Joyce Jones, Tom Straiton

Representatives / Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen, 2 members of the Public, 3 Representatives from Bancon Developments



ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report:

There was no police report this month

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

(i) There were no questions from the public this month.

(ii) Bancon Developments presented their master plan for potential development at Maidencraig (between Kingswells and Sheddocksley).

Their largest development to date is the Hill of Banchory where Bancon have respected and worked with the local community to provide a 'joined up' development including:a primary school, business park, health and community facilities, 600 homes of which approx 200 will be classed as affordable housing.

The proposal for Maidencraig would be provided in a similar manner as the Hill of Banchory and would include 200 homes in Kingswells, 400 homes in Sheddocksley, and an additional 40 low density homes in the 'green break' between the two areas. Affordable housing would be provided in both areas. Housing would be constructed to within 5m of the crest of hills. Provision for a primary school and a class IV science park (the latter as per ACC policy) has also been included. Access would require the 'old Lang Stracht' to be upgraded and new bus lanes to be provided.

Bancon are willing to discuss the provision of the masterplan.

6 Matters Arising

Nothing to report

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

a) Signs

(i) Peter reported that a survey will be carried out when the snow clears to determine ownership of the signs.

b) Loose Stones on Community Centre Wall

Peter will address this issue with the Community Centre Committee.

c) Snow Clearing

In general snow clearing has been good; but the priorities used to identify which roads are cleared first needs to be reviewed.

For example, the paths at Fairley Road have not been cleared resulting in mothers with pushchairs walking in the middle of the road. Paths through parks have been cleared &endash; this is not considered a priority.

The area around the shops and community centre (CC) were particularly poor. Peter advised that the individual shops and the CC were responsible for clearing their own areas.

8 Update from Action Groups

a) Environmental

(i) Consumption Dyke

Ian advised that reps from ACC Parks Dept, Historic Scotland and Judith will be on site to locate the cairns on March 4 at 2:30pm. Dot has volunteered to represent KCC.

(ii) Derbeth Pond

Michael advised that he had spoken with David Urquhart from SMG regarding the fence. The 'ladder; type fence will be replaced with vertical slats.

Michael also intends to request that the walkway over the water be taken back to the waters edge in the interests of safety.

The area has good planting and supports a good number of ducks. It is generally thought to be a good facility.

Michael to report back with progress.

(iii) Open Areas

John reported that Peveral had been applying week killer to areas before the snow. An improvement in the quality of the work by the contractors has been noticed.

Michael advised that trimming of shrubs to provide good sight distance at road junctions was important for road safety.

Meg Sands had a plan that was marked up with areas adopted by ACC. Barrie(?) to check if Meg still has the map.

b) Local Plan

The meeting with ACC was considered to have been positive. The relationship with planners seems to be much better, and they seem to be listening.

Gillahill has been removed from the local plan, and preservation of the area is dependant on the results of the enquiry. Alan to contact ACC lawyers to determine their objections and to identify the contribution from KCC.

c) Education and Youth

(i) New School Build

Barrie confirmed that School Board has contacted ACC who confirmed that new playground has CCTV and sensory security lighting- both are already incorporated in the plans for the new playground. They are both also in the current design for the back of the school - although this plan not been finalised as yet.

(ii) Youth Facilities

John advised that the Jane, the Youth Worker, would require two months collect and process the questionnaires from the kids.

d) WPR

It was agreed that John, Barrie and Dot should arrange to view the information available on the WPR. Peter has agreed to arrange this visit, if required (this was agreed some time ago).

9 Treasurers Report

It was agreed that Alan should approach Bert after his holiday to ask that he reconsider his resignation.

10 Community Council Forum

Next meeting is 7:30pm on 5th April at Town House.

 

11 AOCB

KCC is so busy at the moment it is beginning to affect the work and home lives of members. It was considered that KCC needs to 'work smarter'. To this end Michael volunteered his professional assistance to identify possible improvements to our work method..

 

No one could find time to attend the training for Community Groups in April.

 

It was agreed that Ian should arrange for a Health Check on KCC activities from ACC.

John requested copy of 'purple' book on CCs

Barrie expressed concern about the number of email addresses for KCC members. The email addresses are detailed on the contact list.

Michael requested a copy of the letterhead. Ian advised that one had been sent by email, but he would resend.

Ian to arrange to have ACC communications sent by email where possible.

12 Date of Next meeting:

April 12, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.


Date: Monday 9th February 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Participants: Alan. Stott (Vice Chair), John. Gerrie, Bert. Noble (Treasurer), Ian Cox (Secretary), David. Meiklejohn, Tom Straiton, Barrie. Buchan

Apologies: Dot. Batchelor

Absent: Michael Jones, Joyce Jones

Representatives / Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen, Jim Watson from Grampian Police, 4 members of the Public


ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

b) AGM

Reports from the Chair, Secretary and Treasurer were presented. Copies are included with these minutes.

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report

a) The fly tipping in the Concraig area was investigated; but was denied. The council has tidied up the area.

b) Jim confirmed that there are no laws regarding horse fouling.

c) The one-way system continues to be abused by parents using the nursery and by the Pizza delivery vans. It was considered that a few prosecutions would be required to change behaviour.

d) Speed on the one-way system is also considered a problem. The 20s plenty scheme to be introduced in the near future should address this.

e) Priority Crimes

  • Break-ins to cars 0
  • House break-ins 0
  • Vandalisms 2 telephone boxes
  • Underage drinking 1
  • Youth calls 2
  • Disturbances 0
  • Break-ins to sheds 0

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

(i) David Reid from Cloghill Farm talked about the problems he had with his farm and explained that it was necessary to add access tracks and to fence off his land to allow cattle and sheep to use it. He also intends to plant about 200 trees. The improvements will take time, and although the appearance of the site may suffer in the short term due to the nature of the work there would be no long term affects of the work.

David assured KCC that the fencing would not cause restrictions with public access.

David offered to come back later in the year with photographs to allow KCC to see the progress of the works.

6 Matters Arising &endash; nothing to report

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

a) Signs

(i) Les Taylor sign has been removed from the Park and Ride site.

(ii) It was pointed out that there are 'No works' signs and signs to housing developments on Kingswells Crescent that are no longer required.

b) New School Build

  • (i) Tenders have been received.
  • (ii) Funding has been allocated in 2004/5 budget
  • (iii) Work should start in March.
  • (iv) Phones in Kingswood Path were affected by work on the access
  • (v) Mrs Bolton is now in post as head.
  • (vi) The school is not a community school; but one room will be available for community use.
  • (vii) Public open space has been lost &endash; use of the school playground may cause concerns with security and lighting.

There was a view that the area will be used as a meeting place by groups of youths, and that cameras and lighting may help. There is a priority list for allocation of cameras &endash; it is the responsibility of the School Board to deal with these issues. Barrie to discuss cameras with the School Board

c) Loose Stones on Community Centre Wall

No action has been taken as yet.

d) Wall around Co-op car park

Plans are being drawn up.

e) Boxing Club

Peter advised that a contribution of £250 has been made to the boxing club for setting up equipment.

f) Road Junction Improvement

Plans to improve the T junction at the Newhills end of the Kingswells &endash; Newhills road are currently being progressed.

8 Update from Action Groups

a) Environmental

(i) Consumption Dyke

Ian advised he had not received an update from Judith. He will contact Judith.

(ii) Derbeth Pond

Matter is ongoing.

(iii) Open Areas

Alan advised that Peveral should be reducing the cost of maintaining the areas under their control.

John advised that he had met with Peveral Area Manager and SMG and that agreement has been reached regarding responsibilities.

b) Local Plan

KCC is against development indicated in the draft local plan.

The timetable includes the following steps:

  • The plan goes to Development Plan Sub-committee on 26 Feb
  • The plan goes to Full Council on 9 March.
  • On deposit (chance to raise objections) in May
  • Available in paper format and on the web
  • Objections will either be accepted or an attempt to resolve will be made. Objections will not be simply thrown out.
  • A public enquiry is likely.
  • ACC can object to the findings of the reporter.

KCC can make a submission to ACC before Feb 19.

A general discussion took place regarding the draft local plan.

It was decided that KCC should meet with Bob Reid to discuss the Local Plan with a list of six bullet points. Peter to arrange a date and time

c) Education and Youth

(i) New School Build

This was discussed in 7b above..

(ii) Youth Facilities

John advised that the Youth Worker could not find any youths 'hanging out'. They decided to contact the kids through Bankhead, Hazelhead and Westhill schools.

John provided a written report and will keep KCC updated.

9 Treasurers Report

See the report provided for AGM.

10 Community Council Forum

Copies of the reports from AGM were provided by email..

11 AOCB

It was agreed that John should build 3 collection boxes.

12 Date of Next meeting:

March 1, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.



Date:
Monday 12th January 2004

Time: 8 pm

Venue: Kingswells Community Centre

Chair: Alex Carnie (Chairperson)

Participants: Alan. Stott (Vice Chair), John. Gerrie, Bert. Noble (Treasurer), Ian Cox (Secretary), Dot. Batchelor, Michael Jones, Joyce Jones.

Apologies: David. Meiklejohn, Barrie. Buchan Tom Straiton

Representatives / Observers: Cllr Peter Stephen, Jim Watson from Grampian Police, 2 members of the Public, Jane Morris &endash; Youth Worker From Beacon


ITEM

1 Introduction by Chair

a) Seredunt

2 Attendees and Apologies

As Above

3 Approval of Minutes

Chair signed off the minutes of the previous meeting

4 Police Report

a) Jim advised that he would attend KCC meetings when he was available.

b) There was a report of fly tipping in the Concraig area. The items were of a personal nature and could identify the owner. Jim will investigate.

c) Jim was asked if horse fouling was against the law. He was not sure of the status on this; but would check.

d) Jim asked that he be given advance warning of requests for information.

e) Priority Crimes 09/12/03 - 12/01/04 (35 days)

  • Break-ins to cars 0
  • House break-ins 1
    house out with village - property stolen
  • Vandalisms 3
    2 car + 1 fence
  • Break-ins to sheds 4
    2 break-ins with items stolen
    2 attempted
  • Theft 3
    1 car stolen and recovered
    1 push bike stolen and recovered
    1 sneak-in through insecure door
  • SOME OTHER REPORTED INCIDENTS
    Youth calls 5
    4 relate to snowball throwing incidents`

    Underage drinking 1
    Annoyance Calls 1

5 Questions to the Chair from Public Attendees

(i) The two members of public advised that they had started a boxing club people between 12 and 32. The club is run from the Village Hall on a Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. The club is well attended and the committee has been successful in finding funding from local businesses.

KCC was pleased to hear of the success of the club, and wished the club success in the future.

Jane Morris from the Beacon would advise youth of the activities of the club.

6 Matters Arising

a) Community Centre Comments

(i) Ian advised that the community centre were not happy with KCC making comments about the community centre without first checking with members of the CC committee. This was noted, and will be followed when possible.

(ii) CC thought that the following comment from the last minute was untrue:

"Webster Park facility was reported as being fully booked all the time, and thus had no further capacity for youth activities"

KCC would like to point out that new youth activities would require to make bookings at the same time each week, or month for a period of 6 to 12 months. It was conceded that there may well be slots available but it was thought that these would not be useful for new groups trying to get established.

b) One Way System and Young People on CC

(i) Ian advised that a letter supporting the proposed changes was sent.

(ii) A letter was not sent since KCC had previously advised ACC of their support.

7 Councillor Stephen's Update

a) Park and Ride Sign

(i) Peter advised that he had contacted Les Taylor regarding the sign. If it was not removed soon Peter said that he would arrange to have it removed.

b) Paving at shops

(i) Work to the 'heavy duty' area in front of CC now complete

c) New School Build

(i) Ground has now been transferred.

(ii) Tenders have been issued.

d) Steps at shops

(i) Steps have been repaired.

e) Loose Stones on Community Centre Wall

No action has been taken as yet.

f) Wall around COOP car park

(i) Peter has received estimates (£6,500) for the work and has sent letters to shops. Peter to keep KCC advised

g) Grants from Executive

(i) Peter advised that the grants ACC received from Scottish Executive were down for 2004-5 and will also be down the following year. Falling population is thought to be the cause of the reduction.

8 Update from Action Groups

A preliminary list of action group members was drawn up. KCC members are to advise Ian if they wish to be involved in additional groups. Distribution of information will be based on action group membership unless otherwise advised.

Action Group

KCC Members

Planning and Infrastructure - Tom, Barrie, John, Bert, David Ian

Education & Youth - John, Barrie, David

Environment and Open Space - Dot, Alan, Joyce

Broadband - Ian, Bert

Special Projects - To be manned as projects develop.

Alex will help out as his time allows. He works away much of the time.

Michael will fit in where he is needed; but will be busy at work for the next few months.

a) Environmental

(i) Consumption Dyke

(ii) Ian advised the Judith would manage the project to its conclusion and that the signs were currently at the printer.

(iii) Derbeth Pond

Matter is ongoing.

Ian to provide letterhead and check Michael's email.

(iv) Paths

Dot advised that there might be a problem advertising some of the paths that currently go through farmers land. It is currently acceptable for people to use this access; but thought if these routes became busy the farmers involved may withdraw access.

(v) Open Areas

Some concern was expressed about the level of maintenance of open areas that were not managed by ACC.

John advised that he was currently looking into what is happening in the Concraig area. John to keep KCC informed.

b) Local Plan

(i) A general discussion took place regarding the draft local plan.

c) Education and Youth

(i) New School Build

  • No update from Barrie (see comments from Peter 7c above) .

(ii) Youth Facilities

  1. John invited Jane Morris from the Beacon to talk about her plans for finding out what can be done for the youth of Kingswells.
  2. Jane works with her colleague John Ellis.
  3. Jane advised that funding for this area was controlled by Aberdeen North at the Beacon.. Funding, generally, is not a problem for Youth Work as there are a lot of grants available. The more work that is done &endash; the more money is available.
  4. Jane is involved in 'detached youth work', which is done in the street. She intends to find out what the youths of Kingswells who are currently 'hanging out' on the street are doing, and what they would like to do.
  5. Jane will take kids to the Beacon in a mini-bus to make them aware of the facilities on offer.
  6. It was pointed out that there may well be a number of young people who are 'stuck in the house' because of lack of facilities. There are also people who are involved in activities outside Kingswells who may be interested in activities that may be generated by this project.
  7. Jane will spend 2-3 nights per week over the next 6 weeks researching the current status in Kingswells. She also intends including the CC in the process.
  8. Jane will report through John who will keep KCC advised
  9. Jane will provide a report at the end of her investigations.
  10. Barrie was not available to provide update on use of the 'space for a bowling green' at Webster Park for a skateboard facility. Barrie to keep KCC informed of progress.

(iii) Update re Outreach Workers at Westhill

No Report

9 Treasurers Report

(i) Funding for projects

General discussion took place. Alex and Ian to advise Bert of their requirements. A donation to Community Projects may be considered when more detailed figures are available.

(ii) Current balance is £578.45; but allowance needs to be made for above sums. Funding needs to last until April when next years funding is due.

(iii) Bert advised the there was some interest in sponsorship for the Kingswells News, and the next issue may be self funded.

10 Community Council Forum

Next meeting 2 February, 19:30 at Town House.

11 AOCB

  1. The meeting in March will be the AGM.
  2. Alex, Bert to prepare reports. Ian to collate reports from the action groups for the AGM.
  3. Joyce reported that recent work at the school had alarmed the children. KCC (possibly Barrie) to investigate if it is possible to have contractors to advise the school of works before they occur to minimise alarming the kids.
  4. Joyce advised that the Church had rooms available for meetings.
  5. Ian reported that some residents interested in getting Wireless Broadband in Kingswells. Ian thought setting up a new action group would be appropriate and would allow KCC to be involved may help with use of the letterhead, contacts, advertising etc. It was agreed that setting up the action group was good for the community.

12 Date of Next meeting:

February 9, 2004 in upper hall of Kingswells Community Centre at 8pm.

Future meetings will all be in the Community Centre at 8pm

  • 9 Feb
  • 1 March
  • 12 April
  • 3 May
  • 14 June
  • 5 July
  •  
  • 9 Aug
  • 6 Sep
  • 11 Oct
  • 1 Nov
  • 13 Dec


If you have an event or an article to publish and it's relevant to Kingswells. Send the information to info@kingswells.com A credit will be given to anyone submitting articles and photos used on web site. Claire Burt Web mistress
hat

EMAIL US

Enter the Forum

Enter the Forum

Find out what KCC are doing about the
LOCAL PLAN

Who's who in Kingswells Community Council

Find out what KCC are doing about the WESTERN PERIPHERAL ROUTE


NEWSLETTER


KCC POLL

POLL RESULTS

 

Site Compiled by Claire Burt - Email: info@kingswells.com